Care and Treatment for Sports-Related Orthopedic Conditions and Injuries
Our Sports and Musculoskeletal Medicine team of sports medicine physicians, sports medicine doctors and other medical professionals is here to serve patients of all ages that are active in sports or athletic engagements.
We offer services that support our patients, including referrals to physical therapy and collaborative care with local orthopedic surgeons for orthopedic surgery.
Our Orthopedic Sports Medicine Services
We provide basic management and medical care for the following conditions and injury treatment in the field of orthopedic medicine:
- Properly treating a fracture is important to fully healing. The team at Northern Nevada Medical Group can diagnose and treat fractures.
- Ligament sprains
- A sprained ligament can keep you from doing the sport or athletic activity you love. Our physical therapists and physicians can help your sprain to heal faster.
- Muscular strains
- Like a sprain, a muscle strain can take you out of the game. Getting help can get you back on the field, court or track much faster.
- Concussions (including NOT returning to play the day of injury)
- A concussion must be looked at by professionals. These injuries have potential lifelong consequences if not taken care of properly, and the medical specialty team is here to help.
- Common fibrocartilage injuries, such as labral and meniscal tears
- A tear can take you out of physical activity for a long time if not treated properly. The team at Northern Nevada Medical Group can get you back to feeling better, sooner.
- Dislocations such as nursemaid’s elbow
- A dislocation can be extremely painful. Northern Nevada Medical Group can help get the injury properly back into place so that it can heal as well as provide some pain relief.
- Metabolic bone disease (Osteoporosis, Paget disease)
- Proper management of metabolic bone diseases is key, and we can provide the education and tools needed for long-term management.
- Acute and chronic low back pain
- The doctors of physical therapy at Northern Nevada Medical Group can help manage your acute and chronic low back pain.
- Foot conditions
- Issues with the feet can be painful, and our treatment team in Sparks, Nevada, can help with a variety of foot conditions.
Other sports medicine issues we treat:
- Rheumatologic disorders
- Bursitis, tendinopathy, tenosynovitis
- Neurologic conditions such as nerve entrapment syndromes and brachial plexopathies
- Synovial cysts such as Baker cyst and ganglion cysts
- Patellofemoral syndrome
- Apophysitis (e.g., Osgood-Schlatter disease)
- Osteochondroses/aseptic necrosis
- Osteoarthritis/crystal-induced arthritis (e.g., gout, pseudogout)
Our Treatment Options
- Joint aspiration (arthrocentesis)
- Joint injection (ultrasound guided)
- Common injections for bursitis and tendinopathy
- Common tendon sheath injections
- Splints (upper and lower extremity)
- Dislocation reduction
- Surgical recommendations and referrals for:
- Total joint replacements
- Spine surgeries
- Reconstructive surgeries
- And more
Orthopedic Emergency Recognition and Stabilization, Including Trauma Assessment
- Acute compartment syndrome
- Hip or knee dislocation
- Unstable pelvis fracture
- Cervical spine fracture
- Spinal cord injury
- Cauda equina syndrome
- Neurovascular compromise
- Prescription of home exercise programs
- Prescription of physical therapy (including all appropriate components)
NNMG Can Help With Sports Injuries and Sports Medicine
If you or a loved one has suffered an athletic injury, Northern Nevada Medical Group is here to help. Schedule an appointment online or call 775-352-5300 to start feeling better and get back to doing the physical activity you love sooner.