Comprehensive Surgical Care
General surgery is the surgical specialty focusing on conditions and diseases of the abdominal area. Located in the Reno-Sparks, Nevada, area, our dedicated team of medical professionals are pleased to provide diagnosis and treatment for a variety of conditions.
Our general surgeons are proud to offer treatment for a wide variety of conditions. The parts of the body and correlating conditions treated by our general surgeons include:
- Breast Cancer
- Fibrocystic Breast
- Intraductal Papillomas
- Nipple Discharge
- Anal Fistula
- Bowel Obstruction
- Crohn’s Disease
- Barrett’s Esophagus
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Paraesophageal Hernia
- Zenker’s Diverticulum
- Biliary Dyskinesia
- Gallstones (Cholelithiasis)
- Epidermoid Cyst
- Pilonidal Cyst
- Skin Cancer
- Gastric (Stomach) Cancer
- PEG Tube / Feeding Tube
Our general surgery unit offers minimally invasive options for eligible patients. Minimally invasive procedures can help decrease recovery time, pain and other side effects. We are staffed with specialized robotic surgeons who have expertise in performing robotic assisted surgery.
Our wide range of surgical treatments include:
- Surgery to treat colon cancer or other diseases of the colon. It involves the partial or complete removal of the colon or parts of the colon.
- Diagnostic Endoscopy
- Heller Myotomy
- A minimally-invasive procedure used to treat an esophageal condition called Achalasia. Achalasia is a disorder that makes it difficult for food and liquid to reach the stomach. The procedure involves opening the lower esophageal sphincter to relieve difficulty swallowing.
- Inguinal Hernia Repair
- A minimally-invasive option to treat hernias in the groin area.
- Interventional Endoscopy
- Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection
- Lumpectomy and Mastectomy
- Breast cancer treatment options that involve removing tissue, sections or the entirety of the breast or breasts. General surgeons work with plastic surgeons and surgical oncologists to perform these cancer treatments.
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy
- A biopsy used for cancer patients to determine whether or not the cancer has spread beyond the original tumor.
- Anti-Reflux Surgery
- A robotic surgery treatment option for acid reflux and GERD.
- Gastric Bypass
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- A procedure involving the insertion of a catheter (hollow tube) into the abdomen. It is used to help the body flush waste when the kidneys are not working properly.
- Reoperative Foregut Surgery
- Transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF)
- A minimally-invasive FDA-approved treatment option for patients with GERD. TIF works to repair the anti-reflux valve, addressing the underlying cause of GERD.
Robotic surgery is a type of minimally invasive surgery.
General surgery procedures that can be performed using robot-assisted surgery include:
- Paraesophageal Hiatal hernia repair
- Inguinal hernia repair
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Ventral hernia repair
- Heller Myotomy ADD
Surgeons at NNMG perform a number of general surgery procedures using the da Vinci® Surgical System.
This technique can help reduce pain, decrease blood loss and lower the risk of infection. It can also shorten the length of hospital stays and promote quicker recoveries with less scarring. Though the da Vinci Surgical System is “robotic,” your surgeon is in control.