Comprehensive Care for Patients of All Ages
Our board-certified family medicine doctors in Las Vegas, Nevada, are here for you. They are dedicated to providing comprehensive patient care for patients of all ages in the Greater Las Vegas area.
Family medicine doctors are a type of primary care physician. Family physicians take a comprehensive approach to health care for family members from childhood to seniors. Family medicine allows practitioners to take a holistic approach with a full family picture to provide personalized care.
For example, family practices specialize in highlighting and addressing genetic markers for disease. Easy access to family history gives doctors a step up in disease prevention. These markers can indicate the need for preventative measures for patients.
For example, certain patients have a higher risk of stroke or risk of heart disease. By looking at genetic markers, doctors can come up with a preventative plan. These plans may include increasing physical activity and monitoring cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
Genetic markers can also help physicians detect if certain diseases, like different types of heart disease, may be hereditary.
Similar to primary care doctors, family medicine physicians provide services ranging from routine checkups and physical exams to chronic condition management. Family medical services include the treatment and diagnosis of many common conditions, including:
- Asthma: Asthma is a chronic disease where the airways become inflamed and swollen, making it difficult to breathe. Patients with asthma can experience many symptoms, such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): There are two forms of COPD – chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Both types of COPD are progressive diseases that make breathing difficult. Each type can cause many symptoms, such as:
- A cough with mucus
- Struggling with breathing
- Chest tightness
- Pneumonia and Influenza: Pneumonia and influenza are two respiratory infections that can have similar symptoms, including fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. However, influenza is caused by a virus, while pneumonia can be caused by bacteria, a virus, or inhaling a liquid.
- Diabetes: Diabetes is a metabolism disorder where the body is unable to regulate its blood glucose levels. While manageable, diabetes can be very serious, as glucose plays an essential role in the body. Primarily, glucose serves as energy for cells that make up muscles and tissue and fuel for the brain.
- High Blood Pressure: High blood pressure (hypertension) is a condition where the blood force against the artery is too high. This puts significant pressure and strain on the arteries. High blood pressure is relatively common. If left untreated, elevated blood pressure can cause serious health problems, including heart arrest, stroke, and kidney disease.
- Heart Disease: Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America, according to the CDC. According to the American Heart Association®, one in five Americans have some form of cardiovascular disease. Internal medicine physicians coordinate with other health care specialists to diagnose and treat many heart diseases
Treatments and Services Provided
Family doctors offer comprehensive primary care for the whole family, from infants to seniors. Our physicians offer a wide range of services, including:
- Annual preventive visit
- Wellness exams
- Preventive healthcare screenings
- Medicare wellness exams
- Well-woman exams
- School and sports physicals
- Vaccinations and immunizations
- Chronic illness management
- X-ray, ultrasound, DEXA scan, echocardiogram, vascular studies (JMA)
- Ear lavages
- Skin lesion removal
- Trigger point injections
Our family medicine team offers a variety of ways for patients to continue seeking regular care. Patients have the option of:
- A virtual visit with their provider
- Curbside visits for those who are immunocompromised
- A convenient drive-through setting for ill patients who do not wish to come inside our clinic
The geriatric medicine physicians at Northern Nevada Medical Group address the physical, mental, functional, rehabilitative, preventive needs of older patients, including acute and chronic conditions. They provide primary care to adults over 55 and can diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Various types of cancer
- Heart disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Sleep disorders